Twitter

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Now it's personal

With the rise of social media I like many people fell prey the sirens of first myspace and then facebook.  They pull you in and then offer the chance to keep in touch with your "friends" or merely people you'vde decided to friend for one reason or another.  Most people might enjoy such things, but I found them to be empty version of friendship and the most mundane things in peoples lives.  Social media encourages you to buy into the idea that it brings you closer together, but from my experience I never felt further apart from people.

I got my start in blogging on the internet when I was a mere lad in high school, on a seemingly now obsolete site called livejournal.  Mostly it involved me complaing about my problems and acting like a general emo kid, and I found it fun to have an audience.

The will to write has been in me since I was forming letters on pages, learning to spell, writing short stories, getting good grades on the majority of my written assignments throughout my scholastic career.  And of course writing and being able to express myself well through that artform led me to major in journalism in college.  This is something I don't regret, though another myth put upon people is that a college degree guarentees you get a career.  My string of dead end jobs disproves this theory; I seem to be more down on my luck that most people: or I'm lacking in the motivation.

I feel blogging is key for me now.  I've tried many blogs and failed since my original--and I hope that it will not be the case here once again.  I have to learn from my failures and know why I failed--I wasn't truly passionate and I gave into the myth that people actually wanted to read what I wrote.  This isn't the case either.  My primary audience while blogging should be myself, though I am going to try my hand with a business blog that I want people to read, while writing here personally.

I may lack for grammar or punctuation and I'm not going to spell check and will write what comes naturally.  I don't want to lack for passion and I want to rediscover everything that makes me alone great as an individual.  This is my journey, feel free to read along.

As for my name, my new flagship screen-name.  Quixotic derived from Don Quixote, which has several definitions that might apply: (1)extravagantly chivalrous or romantic; visionary, impractical, or impracticable. (2)impulsive and often rashly unpredictable.  )( I think the term fits me properly as a person as I do behave in those myriad of ways at times.  For the second part of my name "Haven"  for this is to be my shelter from the real world and all the pitfalls it provides.  Sometimes we as humans just need to get away.  Our problems often follow us where we choose to go, but for a moment in our own minds I do believe we can reach some small escape.  The world doesn't always work the way I would like, but it is important for my own mind and my soul to work in the fashion I desire.

I'm going to use this blog for introspection and should I decide I need another blog for "emo" purposes I will create one for when my mind goes completely off the fringe.  Sometimes we let our emotions overwhelm us and it keeps our world cloudy, which then keeps us from truly getting better until we let it all out. 

I'm looking forward to writing more soon but I think for now I have said my peace to put a pun forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment